Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A New Year Starts Every Day...

"Time for a fresh start" by James Oconnell
 @ www.behance.net

I have been meaning to write this post for just over three months now. Yes, it was suppose to be a New Years post about my “goals” for 2011. I had made a few lame attempts at starting it, but they never went very far. Was it because I'm a hopeless procrastinator? Or maybe the fact the my mind can be so scrambled I have a hard time organizing my thoughts into cohesive strings of text? It could be. But to be honest, I'm not one for making “New Years Resolutions”. It just hasn't been something I have really done in my life. But, I thought maybe it would be a good way to start of the year for this blog. After all I haven't actually been making any real effort with it yet, and that is something I want to do. I kept putting the process off, making little excuses for myself. Then it just seemed irrelevant.

So much time had past since the year started, but my birthday was coming up. Bright Idea – Birthday Year Goals. What I would strive to achieve between birthday 2011 and birthday 2012. Well, my birthday came and went and I still put off sitting down and gathering my thoughts.

No more. Here I am. And here's the list:

  1. Read More – I mean novels. Not more blogs, not magazines, not the back of the cereal box.
  2. Try my hand at animation in some from. Learning to make a ball bounce is a good start.
  3. Make a video a week and post to YouTube. This could be the weather, the cats, anything.
  4. Capture an image of something everyday with the camera on my iPhone. The sky, a tree, probably a cat. Anything at all. Post it to this blog. Possibly through Daily Booth.
  5. Take more pictures in general. I have cameras. I should use them.
  6. Procrastinate less. Just damn well do it. This blog, case in point.
  7. Do at least one sun salutation a day. I learned yoga, so I should use it!
  8. Learn to use Adobe After Effects. Motion graphics! It's the future of graphic design, right?
  9. Relearn Flash. This also relates to #2.
  10. Travel. I have to do this one alone, so I need to start small. It could be a weekend trip to White Point.
  11. Go to the beach. Stand at the edge of the Atlantic ocean for the first time in 20 years.
  12. Create an actual vlog and post it before my birthday 2012.
  13. Use the dollar store canvases I purchased years ago. After completing each painting, photograph and then donate each to the Salvation Army.
  14. Lose weight, get healthy, eat better, move more. Vlog about it?
  15. Be present in each moment. Appreciate everything.
  16. Blog at least once a week. Capture this year, here, on this blog. In words, in pictures, in video.

This list isn't really in a particular order. Just how it came out. I've probably missed a few things I hope to do, but that's okay. I have to learn to embrace change as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    Thanks for using my illustration for your blog, it looks right at home amongst your writing.

    Cheers again and best wishes,

    James

    ----------------

    Web: www.james-oconnell.com
    Twitter: @Jamesp0p

    ReplyDelete