Tuesday, April 19, 2011

BEDA 19 – I need to join a book club.

I finally finished The War of the Worlds on the weekend. I honestly did not think I was ever going to make it though. Such a short book, but it felt like it went on forever.

To treat myself I followed it up with John Green`s Bad Zombie Apocalypse Novella Zombicorn (really it`s not that bad, I don`t understand why he keeps calling it that), which I finished that same afternoon. I felt redeemed as it had taken 16 day to read TWOTW (154 pages) and just part of an afternoon to read Zombicorns (72 pages). So, the question was, what should I follow it up with?

I choose Across the Universe by Beth Revis. I had seen a vlog about it a few weeks ago and the person really seemed to like it. Then I read a blog or two in which it also received good reviews. Yes it is a YA novel. Yes those reviews were by young adults. I've learned over the last few months I prefer YA novels.

Reading this book is the first time that I have ever wished that I was a member of a book club. I'm enjoying the read and as I go along I think I'm figuring out where the story is going. I want to discuss this with someone. But I can't. The people I'm around on a regular basis most likely will want to read this and I don't want to ruin it for them. I'm so frustrated with not being able to talk about it. I've actually never wanted to discuss the plot line of a book while I'm in the process of reading it. It's a strange kind of frustration for me. A frustration I'm just going to have to deal with.

I also have to say I love the cover. I'm always awed by the colours of universe that the Hubble Telescope captures. And while this artwork may not have been inspired by those images, that's the feel I get from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment